Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Dentist visit in US of A

I took an appointment over phone and not to my surprise all Saturdays were booked for next 6 months. The prime timings on week days were also booked for 3-4 months. Just as a savior I got a Tuesday afternoon appointment. I knew that it looked unprofessional to skip office half a day. But I would be left with no other choice.

I was just asked about my Dental Insurance number and I was all set for a Periodental Clean up. The nurse called me and took some 15-20 X-rays from every angle. The equipments were really sophisticated.

Basically it involves cleaning gums. She also polished the intersection of teeth and gums. It did bleed a lot. But I did need that since its been more than 3 years I haven't been to a dentist.

Also that I had a lot of stains, brown colored, which she said was due to intake of decaf. Some of the stains went off due to polishing. The cream colored shaded enamel on the bottom of most teeth, was she said due to some natural pigmentation.

All my other teeth were good besides 1 root canal, which she persuaded a lot to re do it from her, typical sales trick. She was almost about to book a time for that for me. But thanks to a typical US dentist schedule, there was no appointment for that till May.

Finally, while leaving she gave me a tooth brush set with floss.

Since my dental insurance, for which I pay every fortnight, covers gums cleaning every 3 months and teeth polishing every 6 months. I am sure to schedule another sitting in Sept.

I also have vision coverage and I can go for eye checkup every 6 months. Now the next plan is to get my eyes done.

No comments:

Post a Comment